It has suddenly come to your notice that maybe your space is cluttered with so much used stuff you no longer need. So do you throw them all in the trash can? Not necessarily! You’ll agree that not all the stuff that no longer comes in handy for you is trash worthy. And while you no longer need them in your space, they’ll be fresh stuff in another’s. You can sell them.
While you can choose to dispose of your used items locally to make money fast, you can also do so online. Some of the best websites where you can turn your used stuff into money fast include Amazon, eBay, OfferUp, Poshmark, and Decluttr. These websites allow you to turn in your old stuff and get paid when other people buy them.
Best Places To Sell Your Old Stuff For Quick Cash
Thinking of decluttering your choked-up space or doing away with some used stuff that now bores you? Keep reading this article, as I’ll show you the best places online to dispose of your used stuff fast for money.
Here are the ten best websites where you can put up your used stuff for sale.
Amazon is not just one of the most prominent names in the eCommerce industry. They also pull very massive traffic of more than 5 billion monthly visitors. The best part is they can also help you sell off that old stuff packing up dust in your space. The Amazon Renewed program allows you to list old and refurbished items for sale.
While you cannot sell just any used items on Amazon since they are selective about what used items get listed, they allow a large category of used items to be listed. Some categories under which you can list used items are home and garden items, video games, personal computers, pet supplies, software, or sporting equipment.
If your stuff lies in any of Amazon’s selected used items categories, then you can list them for sale on Amazon. However, they must comply with Amazon’s used items condition guidelines. For Amazon to list your used item, it should still be in good working condition, even if it is slightly worn outside. Heavily stained and counterfeit items won’t make it through.
Although Amazon allows sales of used items via the Amazon Renewed program, not everyone can list an item. Amazon is particularly strict with selecting those who make it through to list items via this program. Only experienced sellers are likely to pass the criteria for the Amazon Renewed program.
To list your used item for sale on Amazon, follow these steps:
- Visit Seller Central and log in (you should already have a seller account to do this)
- Click on Manage inventory” and “Add product.”
- Input the ASIN number of the product you want to list
- When your product appears on the screen, select “used ” as its condition and click “sell this product.”
- The offer page should appear. Fill out other details about your product, like its price and condition.
- Choose which customer fulfillment program you opt for, FBA or FBM. You want to note that for FBA, Amazon will handle all the storage and shipping. If you’d prefer to do that yourself, then you can opt for FBM.
eBay is one of the largest online marketplaces and probably the best place to sell your used items online. eBay makes decluttering your space easy and is very flexible. You can sell almost anything from used electronics and video games to shoes and toys. You can even list your used car for sale on eBay.
This eCommerce giant makes listing your used item for sale hassle-free. It is as easy as taking pictures of your item and responding to some questions. However, before selling, you want to know your profits from trading here. You can generally expect to part with about 10% of whatever price your item sells for, as eBay charges, excluding taxes.
To sell on eBay, you’ll need a seller account. Creating one is easy, and you should be able to do so by following these steps:
- Visit the eBay signup page.
- Fill in your name and email address and create a password.
- You will be routed to eBay’s homepage. Click on the “My eBay” menu at the top right corner and select “selling.”
- Select “Account” and then “payments.” You’ll find “payment options” click here and fill out your bank account details. eBay will pay your earnings into this bank account.
- You can now list your items for sale on eBay.
To list your item for sale on eBay
- Download and open the eBay app on your device.
- Once open, you’ll find a search tab at the very top of the screen. Search for the item you intend to sell or click on the camera icon to scan the item’s barcode.
- Filter your search to see “sold items.”
- Click on the first item listing, and select “sell one like this.”
- Edit the item’s details to describe the condition of your item appropriately, and ensure to add your item’s dimensions and weight. You want to include any relevant keywords.
- Take and upload pictures of your item.
- You can choose either the “Auction” or “Buy It Now” options. The auction option allows buyers to bid, while choosing the buy it now option will let you lock in your desired price.
If you were looking for an alternative to the famous names in the eCommerce industry, then Bonanza is a marketplace you can look to. Got any old clothes or kitchenware? You can list them on eBay. While you can sell almost any used items here, some of the best-selling items here are home and garden stuff, jewelry, handbags, men’s and women’s fashion items, etc.
Although Bonanza does not demand any listing fees or monthly charges, you’ll pay a service charge of 3.5% of the price for which your item sells. But for items that sell for $500 and more, you’ll pay a 1.5% service charge.
To list your item for sale on Bonanza, follow these steps:
- Visit the Bonanza Start webstore page.
- Click on “ start your free 14-day trial”.
- Fill out your email and create a password.
- Fill out your bank and personal details.
- Choose what membership option you want.
- You can start selling.
Looking for where to dispose of your used musical gear and equipment for cash? Then you could try out Reverb. Reverb is an online marketplace that lets you sell any musical instrument. So you can dispose of your used musical stuff here so long as they still work.
Selling your secondhand musical clutter should not be much of a hassle since many instrumentalists are more interested in the functionality of musical equipment than the aesthetics. Reverb has new, vintage, and used instrument categories to help you do this.
However, listing your used musical clutter on Reverb is one part, and the profit you’ll be making is the significant other. Reverb does not charge for listing or removing an item that hasn’t sold yet. But Reverb charges a 5% selling fee as soon as your item is sold out. This fee is charged on the total selling price of your item, including shipping.
To list your item for sale on Reverb, do the following:
- Visit the Reverb website.
- Look top right and click on the “sell your gear” button.
- Fill out the listing form with basic information about what you are listing.
- Take some photos and upload them. You can upload up to 25 images. They should be at least 620×620 pixels.
- Add a detailed description of your equipment.
- Fill out your shipping details containing how much you will charge to ship your item and to which locations.
- Save your listing.
Decluttering your space for some fresh air gets easier with Decluttr. Decluttr allows you to sell your used items in the easiest way possible. Decluttr buys your used items from you and resells them, so you don’t have to deal with the hassle of listing and waiting for your product to get sold before getting paid.
While you can sell almost anything that constitutes clutter in your space on Decluttr, the top-selling products are DVDs, books, Blurays, CDs, textbooks, etc. And Decluttr will value your items for free and offer free shipping services if you meet their terms and conditions.
To sell your items on Decluttr, follow these steps:
- Visit the Decluttr and click on start selling.
- Fill in the details of your used items and select their conditions, whether good, poor, or faulty.
- For products with a barcode, you can scan it instead of filling in its details.
- You will notice Decluttr’s price estimate for your item pop up on your screen. Click on sell this item.
- Click on continue to checkout and create a Decluttr account.
- Decluttr will send you a label via email as soon as your online transaction is complete.
- Pack your items neatly in a box, weigh them and attach the label. If your box exceeds the weight limit of 20 pounds, you can split your items into multiple boxes.
- Transport your boxes to any UPS shipping station near you.
Decluttr pays via Check, Paypal, or Direct deposit 24 hours after your item arrives at their office. However, if your item appears in a condition other than what you specified online, Decluttr will email you a revised price, which you can accept within 14 days. If you turn down this revised price, you can have your item returned to you for free.
If you’ve ever felt that selling your used clothes is a hassle, try Poshmark. Poshmark is a marketplace for everything that has to do with your second fashion collection. You can sell anything from used clothes to clothing accessories that clog the space in your closet.
Poshmark reduces the stress of selling your used items with its easy-to-use mobile app. You have to list your product, wait for it to get sold, and get paid by Poshmark as soon as this happens. Besides, Poshmark handles taxes, so you don’t need to worry about extra expenses after raking in your cash.
However, you want to note that Poshmark charges a commission of 20% from every sale of yours worth up to $15 or more and a flat commission of $3 for sales below this amount.
While Poshmark accepts a wide range of fashion-related items, you’ll be better positioned to complete a sale early if you go for any items in their top-selling category. Some items in this category include blouses, T-shirts, sneakers, tank tops, leggings, athletic shorts, mini skirts, sandals, and bikinis.
Putting up your item for sale on Poshmark is easy. To do this, follow these steps:
- Download the Poshmark app or visit the Poshmark website and set up a free Poshmark account by filling in your email via the Facebook or Google accounts buttons, then create a password.
- Poshmark will ask you what three brands you prefer to shop with and will use this information to match you with sellers offering products in your selected category.
- You can then customize your profile by editing your details.
- Take high-quality pictures of your item. Poshmark allows you to upload up to 17 photos of your item.
- Assign a title and fill in a detailed description of your item.
- Set the price for your item.
- Poshmark will email you a shipping label with the receiver’s address when your item sells.
- Pack your item correctly, print and attach the label, then ship it.
Poshmark will send funds to your Poshmark app as soon as the buyer confirms that they have received your item.
Etsy is one marketplace you want to take your old furniture and handcrafted items to. It’s the ideal marketplace for everything vintage. Meanwhile, Etsy defines vintage stuff as those up to 20 years and more, so if you have stuff in your space that’s this old and that you’d love to dispose of, you can visit Etsy.
On Etsy, you will quickly sell furniture, art, books, collectibles, musical instruments, and clothes. Esty is particularly conscious about what quality of items makes it to their list, so you can be sure there’s a refined traffic of customers on this site- those willing to make selling off your vintage stuff worthwhile.
To sell your item on Etsy, follow these steps:
- Visit the Etsy website and create an account by filling out your details, clicking on register, or using the Google, Facebook, or Apple options.
- Once logged in, click on “sell on Etsy” and click on “open your Etsy shop.”
- Fill out the details for your online Etsy shop.
- You can customize your shop to suit your taste by adjusting your shop name and title, including external links and automatic response messages to your buyers.
- Select your payment option. You can allow your customers to transact business via PayPal or Etsy Payments.
- Fill in your shipping fees.
- You’re set to sell on Etsy.
However, you want to remember that Etsy charges a commission of $0.2 on every item you list and a 3.5% commission for every item you sell.
I will not immediately recommend Craigslist as the best marketplace to list your item if it has more than the average value to you. However, if you have a lot of clutter from which you hope to make a few bucks quickly, then Craigslist is just fine.
Craigslist is a free-to-access marketplace that allows you to advertise and sell your items, skills, and services. Craigslist allows you to list a broad category of items for free. However, listings like job offers, car sales, and rent in some areas are not free.
Here’s how to sell your used stuff on Craigslist:
- Visit the Craigslist website.
- Select the name of your city from the list of cities located to the right.
- Alternatively, you can type in your city’s name.craigslist.com in your browser search bar to land directly on your city’s listing page.
- At the left top corner of your screen, click on the “create a posting” button.
- Click on “for sale by owner.”
- Choose the best-fitting category for your item from the list of possible categories. However, if no category seems perfect for your item, choose “general for sale.”
- Fill out the details of the item you want to post.
- Upload pictures of your item. Craigslist lets you upload up to 24 photos of the item you intend to sell.
- Crosscheck your listing and make any necessary changes using the edit text or edit images buttons
- Click on continue to create your posting.
- Your posting will be uploaded on the Craigslist site if you already have an account. If you don’t, Craigslist will send you an email prompting you to do so before uploading your listing.
Craigslist charges you nothing for selling most stuff. However, if you are putting up a car for sale or selling a service, Craigslist will charge you a fee.
If your car has outdone its mileage and is now creaky down its wheels, you most likely want to dispose of it. Again, if you have a really old car that’s hit the 50-year-old mark or more, Sellmax considers vehicles in this category as antiques and is willing to help you clear your garage of classics and clunkers.
Sellmax is the online used cars marketplace that makes disposing of your car easy. Any type of car and in any condition will have a price on Sellmax. You can sell your car to Sellmax even if it is damaged or just junk you’ll love to clear.
To sell your used car on Sellmax, follow these steps:
- Visit Sellmax’s website.
- Click on the “get your offer’ button.
- Select your car’s specifications or call the number near the screen’s top.
- After selecting your car’s specifications, submit your application for evaluation. Evaluations typically take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour.
- After evaluating your application, Sellmax will contact you with an offer lasting for seven days.
- You can accept this offer if the price sits well with you. After accepting the offer, schedule a place and time for Sellmax to pick up your vehicle. It usually takes Sellmax 48 hours after you accept their offer to pick up your vehicle.
- Sellmax pays at pickup.
10. Pro Tested Gear
Your cycling gear may not be fit for a professional tour any longer, and if you are interested in relieving yourself of it, then Pro Tested gear might be your best bet. Pro Tested gear is an online marketplace that makes disposing of your used cycling gear easy.
However, the charges here are a bit more, as Pro Tested Gear charges a 25% commission on your final sale price, including their eBay and PayPal fees. However, for higher ticket items like your wheelsets and bikes, they’ll charge a 10% commission on the leftover balance after deducting $400. Pro Tested Gear also charges a processing fee of $5.
You can sell your used stuff online for free on websites like Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Nextdoor, and VarageSale. While several online platforms either charge a listing fee when you upload your stuff on their website or charge a commission after your product sells, these platforms allow you to list your stuff and sell them off for free.
Before selling online, you must have what you want to sell. Tour your space and select what you want to sell, do your market survey, choose a marketplace, set up your item profile, list your item, respond to inquiries on your product, and make your sale. You may need to pay listing fees or commissions depending on the platform, so plan for this.
One of the easiest ways to sell your used items online is on free marketplaces like Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Nextdoor, VarageSale, and OfferUp. These online platforms allow you to list your items for free and make sales without paying a commission. This makes selling your used items easier and more profitable for you.
Your space might be very cluttered, and clearing it up could be the next move you are contemplating. Turning your used stuff into cash is a great way to declutter your space profitably, and I’ve put together this post to help you do that.